This article will help iOS users understand the features and capabilities that are specific to the iOS version of the VictorOps mobile application.
Add VictorOps Contact
VictorOps uses a total of five source phone numbers for delivery of phone call and SMS notifications. (Full list here) This is part of a load balancing strategy that helps us ensure timely delivery of notifications. Luckily, you do not need to manually create a contact and add these numbers. There is a feature within the app that will do this for you.
Click on the Settings Menu in the bottom right corner of the application, and scroll down to find choose Add VictorOps to Your Contacts.
This will automatically create a new contact with all of the VictorOps numbers already included.
This will give you the ability to add VictorOps to your Favorites, in order to ensure that calls from VictorOps are able to override Do Not Disturb mode. It also allows you to give the VictorOps contact “Emergency Bypass” capabilities, ensuring that you will always get your phone and SMS notifications regardless of the state of your phone (provided it is turned on).
iOS App Permission Settings
Having the appropriate permissions and settings on your device is crucial to ensuring that you receive all of your VictorOps notifications.
Below are permissions settings we highly recommend for your iOS device:
General App Permissions
- Navigate to your iOS Settings. Scroll down to the application settings and select VictorOps.
- In the VictorOps settings, make sure Cellular Data is ON
- Navigate to Notifications (Badges, Sounds, Banners) and make sure that all settings are turned ON.
Do Not Disturb Mode
- VictorOps must be added as a contact
- Then add VictorOps as a favorite in your contacts list
- To add VictorOps as a favorite, you will want to go to your Contacts >> VictorOps Contact >> Add to Favorites
- Be sure to have the proper Do Not Disturb settings enabled. To do so, select Settings >> Do Not Disturb >> Allow Calls from Favorites
This will allow you to receive calls and SMS messages when you are in Do Not Disturb.
You have the option to set VictorOps as an Emergency Bypass contact. This will allow the VictorOps contact to contact you when you’re in Do Not Disturb, without adding the contact as a favorite.
To add VictorOps as an Emergency Bypass contact, go to Contacts >> your VictorOps contact >> Edit >> Toggle Emergency Bypass ON
Notification Settings in the VictorOps App
Within your VictorOps Settings Menu you can edit your Notification sounds preferences.
- Select Incident Notifications >> Sounds
- Customize sound settings for Triggered Incidents/Resolved Incidents
- Here you will also find your lock screen options for Incident Previews and Incident Quick Actions, these are automatically set to ON.
Ack From Lock Screen
One of the VictorOps notification options is a push notification to your iOS device. When being notified via PUSH notification while your phone locked, you have the convenience to acknowledge the alert directly from the lock-screen.
NOTE: This looks different on iPhone 6 and earlier versus iPhone 6s and later.
- By Swiping to the left, you will see Manage | View | Clear to select from
- For iPhone 6s and later, press hard to activate the 3D touch feature and reveal all of the actions and options you can take
- After you have acknowledged an incident, you’ll receive a success notification confirming that your acknowledgment was successful
iOS App Troubleshooting
How to Submit a Swipe Report
Swipe across the screen from right to left with two fingers
- Swipe from right to left with two fingers and this window will appear
- Select ‘Report a Bug‘ or ‘Suggest an Improvement‘
- From there you will be prompted in another screen where you can add more information to your report, take a screen recording, screenshot, or attach a screenshot from your Camera Roll
Reset your Mobile Device in VictorOps:
From your mobile device:
1. Log out of the mobile app (Click the settings icon (gear))
2. Delete the mobile app from your device entirely.
From the webUI:
3. Log in to your account and access your personal profile (Click your username in the top right corner and select “Your profile”)
4. Delete the device from your contact methods (You do not need to remove any phone numbers associated with the device, just the device itself)
From the mobile device:
5. Re-install the VictorOps Mobile app
6. Log in to the VictorOps app.
This process will redo the device association process and often clears up any issues with the app.