Follow these easy, quick steps to set up new users that have been added to your VictorOps account. This guide will ensure that new users have set up their username/password and paging policy correctly, as well as downloaded the appropriate mobile app.
Invitation from VictorOps
Accept the email invite and create your username and password
Follow your organization’s naming convention for your username. If you don’t have a naming convention, we recommend using (FirstName.LastName)
Enter the phone number you will use for future notifications
Username Best Practice
When inviting new users to the VictorOps platform, it is important to consider the following:
- Each user is responsible for setting up their own username at the time of registration.
- Usernames cannot be changed.
- VictorOps does not enforce naming conventions, so it is your responsibility as an administrator to choose and enforce a naming convention.
- Usernames are global, not unique to your organization. If a username that fits your naming convention is not available, consider appending the username with your organization name. (john.smith is taken, but john.smith.billybobsITshop is probably available). Putting the organization name at the end ensures that users in VictorOps can still use the auto-drop-down lists when they begin typing another user’s username when using the chat function.
You want to make a username that is recognizable to everyone in your organization. We find these naming conventions to work best:
- First name – last name (johnsmith, john.smith)
- First initial last name (jsmith, j.smith)
- Match your email naming convention
If you are using HipChat or Slack, you will want to match your VictorOps usernames to your chat usernames.
Complete your Profile
Once you have successfully created a username and password, VictorOps will take you to the main timeline of the platform. As with any web page in the portal, direct your attention to the top right-hand corner of the screen where you can click your username then Your Profile to complete your set up.
From here, you can add additional email addresses as well as up to 4 phone numbers:
If you add a cell phone number, you will need to verify the number. Click Verify, to the right-hand side of the phone number you added, and we will send a 4 digit SMS short code that will be entered into your profile, please see below.
If you’re adding a landline or a desk phone, enter the desired phone number and email email@example.com; we will manually verify your phone number.
Set up your Paging Policy
Located shortly below your contact methods, you will see your “Paging Policy”. This is how VictorOps will notify you if an incident comes in when you are on-call. Build out your Paging Policy to ensure that you are properly notified when an incident comes in. You have the option to add additional steps within steps, by using the plus sign button, or you can add additional steps by using the Add a Step button.
Download the Mobile App
Please note: in order to receive push notifications, you will need to download the mobile app and sign in. Once you have done this, your device will appear under your contact methods.
Download the VictorOps Contact
VictorOps uses numerous phone numbers, to contact you via SMS or Phone call, for an incident. By downloading the contact directly from the mobile app, all numbers will be automatically added to the contact. Then you can add the contacts to your favorites, if desired.
Forget your username? Simply select Forgot username? to start the username recovery process:
In the subsequent screen, you’ll enter the email address associated with your VictorOps account.
Then, in your email client, you’ll receive a message showing your VictorOps username. Directly from the email, you’ll select the Log in button to return to the sign-on page where you can now enter your credentials.
If you have any questions after completing the steps above, or while using VictorOps at any point in time, please feel free to utilize one of the resources below: